Skip to Main Content

Databases by Subject

Facts, Figures, and History


Physical volumes: 125,175                      
Electronic books: 534,949
Print periodicals and newspapers: 25
Databases: 180
Audio (CDs, records): 6,385
Video (DVDs): 1,336
Streaming audio and audio: 144,678
Online journals: 30,868

Footprint: 57,832 square feet

"The Stacks" refers to books collections in general, but
more specifically to the self-supporting core of metal
shelving that holds most of our collection.  Access to
the core stacks is from the first and second floors, and
an interior staircase connects the mezzanine level. 

A Timeline of the Rudisill Library Building

Jan. 10, 1927 - The Hickory Daily Record calls on the public to donate books to replenish the college's library. This community effort meets with a great response, collecting 8,715 books and $900 in cash. Ultimately more than 9,000 volumes are received.

March 1, 1943 - The Carl Augustus Rudisill Library opens, the result of a gift of $50,000 from the Cherryville textile executive and L-R alumnus (Class of 1905).

1967 - The Carl Augustus Rudisill Library is enlarged and remodeled.

1983 - A learning resource center is added containing a TV studio, graphics laboratory, dark rooms, three academic computer centers, curriculum laboratory, media classrooms, writing center and an audiovisual center. These additions are erected with money given by Mr. and Mrs. Carl A. Rudisill, of Cherryville, NC, and their children, Mr. and Mrs. T. W. Borland and Mr. and Mrs. Ben Richard Rudisill.

January, 2010 -  Creation of the Lohr Learning Commons on the second floor of the library is completed. This complex of spaces brings together in one location a variety of student learning support and enrichment activities.

Please visit a digital copy of Fair Star: A Centennial History of Lenoir-Rhyne College by Jeff L. Norris and Ellis G. Boatmon